Since studying composition at London’s Royal Academy of Music, Roxanna Panufnik has written a wide range of pieces including opera, ballet, music theatre, choral works, chamber compositions and music for film and television which are regularly performed all over the world.
Among her most widely given works are Westminster Mass, commissioned for Westminster Cathedral Choir on the occasion of Cardinal Hume’s 75th birthday; The Music Programme, an opera for Polish National Opera’s millennium season which received its UK premiere at the BOC Covent Garden Festival; and settings for solo voices and orchestra of Vikram Seth’s Beastly Tales, the first of which was commissioned by the BBC for Patricia Rozario and City of London Sinfonia.
Other compositions include the critically acclaimed harp concerto Powers and Dominions; Letters from Burma for oboist Douglas Boyd and the Vellinger String Quartet; Leda, a ballet for English National Ballet and Wratislavia Cantans; and Abraham, a violin concerto commissioned by Savannah Music Festival for Daniel Hope that incorporates Christian, Islamic and Jewish music, later reworked into the overture Three Paths to Peace for the World Orchestra for Peace and premiered in Jerusalem under the baton of Valery Gergiev.
Recent premieres include her oratorio Dance of Life, in Latin and Estonian, incorporating her fourth mass setting, written for multiple Tallinn choirs and the Tallinn Philharmonic Orchestra; Four World Seasons for violinist Tasmin Little and the London Mozart Players, which was broadcast live on BBC Radio 3 to celebrate the 2012 Olympics; and Memories of my Father (2014), commissioned and recorded by the Brodsky Quartet.
Current projects include a commission for Garsington Opera’s 2017 Season and recording her Four World Seasons with Tasmin Little and the BBC Symphony Orchestra for release on the Chandos label.
Panufnik is Associate Composer with the London Mozart Players. Her compositions are published by Peter’s Edition Ltd and recorded on labels such as Warner Classics, Chandos, Signum and EMI Classics.
- Year of birth: 1968
- Website: https://roxannapanufnik.com/
- Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roxanna_Panufnik
Works by Roxanna Panufnik
- All Shall Be Well
- Ave Maria
- Hal’lu Alleluia
- Heav’nly Harmony
- Love endureth
- Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis
- Modlitwawith Andrzej Panufnik (Composer)
- O hearken
- Salve Regina
- Schola Missa de Angelis
- St Pancras Canticles
- The Spirit of the Saints
- Westminster Mass
Festival performances of works by Roxanna Panufnik
Festival commissionWorld premiereUK premiereLondon premiere
- Choral Eucharist on Sunday 12 May 2019 at St Bride’s Church
- Choral Evensong on Wednesday 15 May 2019 at St Pancras Parish Church
- Choral Matins on Sunday 19 May 2019 at The Wren Chapel, Royal Hospital, Chelsea
- Choral Evensong on Tuesday 3 December 2019 at St Pancras Parish Church
- “Mother of God - Songs of Mary”: Promenade Concert on Friday 12 May 2017 at The National Gallery
- Choral Evensong on Saturday 13 May 2017 at Westminster Abbey
- Solemn Vespers on Sunday 13 May 2012 at Westminster Cathedral
- Gala Concert on Saturday 19 May 2012 at St Pancras Parish Church
- Choral Evensong on Sunday 11 May 2008 at St Pancras Parish Church
- Lunchtime Recital on Tuesday 13 May 2008 at St Pancras Parish Church